Vehicle Accident FAQs in Winchester, TN

Being involved in a vehicle accident is a frightening experience, even if no serious injuries occur. In the immediate aftermath of a crash, you may have trouble thinking clearly, because your body releases a flood of adrenaline during scary situations. Just being aware of that fact can help you regain your composure, and you’ll feel calmer if you know what to do next.

Tennessee Accident Lawyer

If you’ve suffered an injury in a car crash, you could be entitled to compensation for your medical costs, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Call attorney John R. Colvin to request your free case consultation, at 1-931-962-1044.

Hopefully, you’ll never have a crash. But if you do, you can be better prepared to act when you know the answers to the most common vehicle accident questions:

What’s the first thing I should do if I’m involved in an accident?

First, see if anyone in your car is injured. Call 9-1-1 if you, your passengers, or other parties are injured. If you are uninjured and certified in first aid, think carefully about whether you can safely render aid. For example, if someone is bleeding heavily, you might be able to apply a tourniquet, if the injured party gives you permission. But it’s never wise to try moving an accident victim who is badly injured. Especially if someone has a spine or head injury, moving them could cause additional damage.

Should I call the police?

Always call the police, even if you’ve just had a “fender-bender.” The dispatchers can decide whether an officer needs to visit the crash site.

Can the other driver and I mutually agree to not report the crash?

Other parties in car crashes are usually complete strangers – you have no way of knowing whether they’ll stick to their promise. You may be tempted to avoid the hassle of reporting a minor crash, but accidents may cause vehicle damage and bodily harm that isn’t apparent until much later. Always report crashes.

Do I need to see a doctor?

The adrenaline rush people experience during a crash can mask the pain and symptoms of injuries. See your doctor as soon as possible after a crash, even if you think you’re uninjured.

Is it OK to move my car off the road?

Some people assume they should leave their cars as-is, so police can determine who was at fault in a crash. But that’s not true. The police would much prefer people to move their cars out of traffic, if possible.

If your car, or another party’s car, isn’t operable, do what you can to secure the scene. Road flares or safety triangles are handy for alerting other motorists to your presence in the road.

What information do I need from the other driver(s)?

All drivers should exchange driver’s licenses, insurance cards, license plate numbers, and contact information. If any witnesses are nearby, try to get their contact information, too.

Should I take pictures?

If it’s safe to do so, take pictures of the scene, and use your camera to photograph the information you collect from other drivers. Get images of the vehicles, debris on the road, and adjacent buildings or street signs that clearly show where the crash occurred.

When should I contact my insurance company?

Contact your insurance company when you have taken care of the immediate post-crash details. When you call, don’t say anything that could indicate you’re at fault for the crash.

How is fault determined in a vehicle accident?

Typically, insurance companies consider the accident report, photos, witness testimony, and other factors in determining who’s at fault for a crash. It’s not always cut and dried, though. For example, when one car rear-ends another, the driver of the rear-most car is usually found at fault, but if the investigation reveals the foremost driver knew his brake lights weren’t working and continued driving his car, he would likely share at least some portion of fault.

In accidents involving multiple vehicles, it can take a long time to determine who is at fault, and to what degree. Several drivers may share some portion of fault in a crash.

How do I know if I need a lawyer?

If there’s any dispute about who was at fault, if you suffered a serious injury, or if your crash involved multiple drivers, you should talk to a lawyer as soon as possible.

How do I find a good personal injury lawyer in Tennessee?

You want someone with a history of representing personal injury clients. John R. Colvin has nearly two decades of experience, helping people injured in accidents, and their families, get the compensation they need to move on with their lives in the best way possible

Don’t wait to ask for help. Request your free, no-obligation consultation online or by calling 1-931-962-1044.

Licensed to Practice in Tennessee & Alabama